NORTH KOREA: North Korea fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Thursday, according to South Korean military officials, hours after US President Donald Trump said he expected to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year.
The missile launches came as South Korea and the United States conduct a shortened version of their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises. North Korea has repeatedly criticized joint US-South Korean drills, describing them as preparations for a possible invasion.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missiles were launched from the Pyongyang area at around 5:00 pm local time. They reportedly traveled approximately 300 kilometers before landing in waters toward the East Sea. South Korean and US authorities are conducting further analysis of the weapons and their capabilities.
Seoul’s presidential office held an emergency security meeting following the launches and condemned the missile tests as violations of United Nations Security Council resolutions. Officials also ordered the military to maintain heightened readiness.
The latest developments followed Trump’s comments at the White House, where he expressed an interest in rebuilding his relationship with Kim Jong Un. Trump said he wanted to meet the North Korean leader and emphasized the importance of maintaining a working relationship with Pyongyang.
Trump also referred to North Korea’s nuclear arsenal, while South Korean assessments suggest the country possesses a larger potential stockpile than previously acknowledged publicly.
Kim’s Sister Criticizes Seoul
Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of Kim Jong Un, sharply criticized South Korea after the missile launches. She welcomed Washington’s decision to scale back the military exercises and accused Seoul of excessive reliance on the United States.
Kim Yo Jong also dismissed South Korean President Lee Jae Myung’s efforts to support diplomatic engagement with North Korea, describing Seoul’s approach toward Washington as contradictory.
The United States maintains approximately 28,500 troops in South Korea as part of its longstanding defense commitment to Seoul.
Despite the latest missile launches and increasingly hostile rhetoric, Washington continues to leave open the possibility of renewed diplomacy with Pyongyang. Trump previously held historic meetings with Kim during his first presidency, but negotiations over North Korea’s nuclear program ultimately stalled.
The latest developments highlight the difficult balance between military deterrence and diplomatic engagement as Washington considers renewed talks with Pyongyang.